Equine Assisted Therapy is an established field in which horses are used as a tool for emotional growth and learning. The focus of our program centers on creative activities with the horses that require the client to apply specific skills, solve problems and respond to challenges. The solution-oriented approach encourages clients to seek creative and functional ways to deal with unfamiliar tasks and develop insights based on their own reactions to the situations.
- Horses are keenly aware of human body language and emotional state and they react instinctively to them.
- They can mirror states of mind that the client himself may be unaware of, providing the opportunity for the facilitator to observe the results of the interaction and for the clients to make their own discoveries about the experience.
- The horses are always honest and are immune to the many manipulative behaviors that can be used to influence human beings.
- The physical presence of these animals often breaks down defenses and resistance that may arise therapy.
- They can act as surrogates for the significant people in the client’s life, revealing much in their interactions.
- Identifying patterns of behavior and response
- Improve self-esteem
- Develop trust in a safe environment
- Encourage socialization skills
- Develop choice-making and goal-setting skills
- Learn congruent communication skills
- Establish appropriate boundary-setting skills
- Promote pro-social attitudes through care giving
- Increase focus and attention span
- Become mindful of the relationship of feelings to behaviors
Meet our four legged Staff
Some typical goals our participants work toward include:
Equine Assisted Learning and Equine Assisted Therapy